Midfielder Romain Amalfitano has left Newcastle United to join French side Dijon.
Amalfitano moved to St James Park in 2012 on a free transfer from Reims.
However, the 24-year-old was unable to break into the first-team at Newcastle, making just five appearances in his time with the club, all of which came during their 2012-13 UEFA Europa League campaign.
Newcastle loaned Amalfitano to Dijon last season, with the former Evian man enjoying a decent campaign as he netted two goals in 27 appearances.
Dijon, who finished sixth in Ligue 2 last term, have been suitably impressed by Amalfitano, signing him to a three-year deal.
Romain proved he could be valuable in organising the game and set pieces, Dijon president Olivier Delcourt told the club s offi…
British Labour MP David Miliband has stepped down from his position as vice-chairman at Sunderland.
The former foreign secretary, who has also been a non-executive director at the Stadium of Light since February 2011, announced his decision on his personal website following the appointment of Paolo Di Canio as the club s new manager.
I wish Sunderland AFC all success in the future, he said. It is a great institution that does a huge amount for the North East and I wish the team very well over the next vital seven games.
However, in the light of the new manager s past political statements, I think it right to step down.
The volatile Italian, who has no top-flight experience after only managing with Swindon Town in League One and League Two, has been ta…
Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta has heaped praise on the club s new owners for showing great ambition in the transfer market.
The Blues entered the window restricted by sanctions imposed by the UK government on Roman Abramovich, which prevented any new signings from being made or new contracts being offered to players.
Such uncertainty ended with the completion of a takeover led by American Todd Boehly and Thomas Tuchel has been backed at the start of a new era.
Marc Cucurella, Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly are among the new signings made by the London club, with Barcelona duo Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Frenkie de Jong potentially on their way to Stamford Bridge.
Azpilicueta signed a new deal after being a target for Barca and the defende…
Diego Lainez dazzled as Mexico returned to winning ways ahead of the CONCACAF Gold Cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Panama in an international friendly in Nashville on Wednesday.
The Real Betis midfielder opened the scoring in the 21st minute for El Tri, before defender Cesar Montes 57th-minute header made it 2-0.
Henry Martin worked a sublime one-two before a cool finish in second-half stoppage time to round out a strong win.
Mexico had lost last month s CONCACAF Nations League final on penalties to the United States, before a goalless friendly draw with Honduras.
Gerardo Martino s side made light work on Panama, who are currently ranked 78th in the world, ahead of the Gold Cup to be played in the US this month.
Montes hit the crossbar wit…
Brazil coach Dunga said his side must retain their trademark flair, but also sustain the defensive strength they have shown of late.
After the calamitous end to their hosting of the 2014 World Cup which saw them ship 10 goals in two games, the South American powerhouse has not conceded from free play in six friendlies since.
Brazil conceded their first goal in the latest reign of Dunga he took over from Luiz Felipe Scolari following the showpiece tournament in a 2-1 win over Austria in November, when Aleksandar Dragovic netted a spot-kick.
Centre-back Miranda and left-back Filipe Luis have started in all six matches of Dunga s second stint in charge of the national side he previously led Brazil from 2006 to 10 while central defender David Luiz (four starts) ha…
Former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood is keen for Aston Villa to build on their performance against QPR this Saturday when he returns to White Hart Lane for the first time.
Sherwood enjoyed a positive six-month spell in charge of the north London club, taking over from Andre Villas-Boas in December 2013 before leaving at the end of last season.
The 46-year-old guided Spurs to a sixth-place finish before his departure but returns with his current side in the midst of a battle to avoid the drop, with Villa three points above the bottom three.
Christian Benteke s hat-trick heroics ensured a 3-3 draw against fellow strugglers QPR on Monday, with Sherwood eager to keep picking up points.
I look back at my time with Tottenham with pride. I walked away from Totten…
Manchester City owner Sulaiman Al-Fahim is working in conjunction with a group of German investors to put together a bid to buy Premiership rivals Chelsea from Russian tycoon Roman Ambramovich, an Arabian business website reported on Friday.
The report claims the mega-rich Abu Dhabi businessman has met with five potential German partners from Swiss based company Falcon Equity in a bid to wrest the club from Ambramovich who is rumoured to have seen his interest in the club wane.
The Russian, who lost a large chunk of his fortune during the financial crisis, has been less in evidence in his seat at Stamford Bridge this season.
We have looked before at some European clubs before to see if the numbers add up, and now we are doing the same with Chelsea. I can t go i…
Lars Ricken, youth team coordinator at Borussia Dortmund since 2008, has now officially retired from football. The 32-year-old, who had been playing for BVB since 1990, had been in the reserves squad until now. My new job is fun, but it also demands total commitment , Ricken explained his decision.
Ricken had started playing football at TuS Eving-Lindenhorst before he joined Borussia from TSC Eintracht Dortmund in 1990. Aged just 17, he was called up to the first team by then-coach Ottmar Hitzfeld and went on to play 301 Bundesliga (49 goals) and 74 European games (14 goals) for BVB.
His goal in the 1997 Champions League final against Juventus has gone down into BVB folklore. Ricken had come on after 70 minutes and scored the decisive 3-1 just seconds later. The midfiel…
Harry Kane feels Tottenham have shown a steelier resolve under Antonio Conte, with the England captain suggesting his side are ready to handle high-pressure situations .
The striker became the all-time record goalscorer for a single club in the Premier League this weekend with his 185th goal, which fired Spurs to a 1-0 win over Wolves.
Conte replaced Nuno Espirito Santo last season and ultimately guided Tottenham to Champions League qualification, at the expense of north London rivals Arsenal.
Under the Italian, Tottenham arguably look the best they have been since the Mauricio Pochettino era, and Kane certainly believes they can show their mettle this term in the hunt for success.
We ve definitely strengthened, he said, as reported by The Evening Stand…
Arsenal have withdrawn from their US tour following a number of positive COVID tests among the planned party which was set to depart on Thursday.
The Gunners were due to participate in the Florida Cup with games against Inter on July 25 and Everton or Millonarios on July 28 in Orlando.
Arsenal said in a statement that the difficult decision was based on ensuring the health and wellbeing of the club s players and staff.
We fully understand what a disappointment this is for our supporters in America who were looking forward to seeing us compete in the Florida Cup as part of our pre-season build up, the statement said.
Our apologies also go to the organisers of the Florida Cup who had done a fantastic job making the preparations and our partners who had …